Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Murder, She Wrote: Aloha Betrayed"

New in the USA Today bestselling series—Jessica Fletcher finds herself in a tropical paradise where “aloha” means both hello and goodbye. But sometimes, the goodbye is permanent… 

Jessica is on the Hawaiian island of Maui, giving a lecture at Maui College on community involvement in police investigations—a subject she knows well. Her co-lecturer is legendary retired detective Mike Kane, a behemoth of a man who shares his love of Hawaiian lore, legends and culture with Jessica.

Sadly, all the talking stops when the body of a colleague is found at the rocky foot of a cliff.

Mala Kapule was a botanist and popular professor at the school, known for her activism and efforts on behalf of the volcanic crater Haleakala. The high altitude crater is already the site of an observatory, but plans to place the world’s largest solar telescope there split the locals, with Mala fiercely arguing to preserve the delicate ecology of the area. Was someone trying to muffle the protestors? Or was Mala’s killer making a more personal statement?

Now, it’s up to Jessica, along with Mike, to uncover who was driven to silence the scientist…and betray the true meaning of Aloha.


My Thoughts...

In the 1980s I was a fan of the TV show, Murder, She Wrote, starring Angela Lansbury. It came on each Sunday evening and I tried never to miss it. Now years later when I get a hankering for a visit with Jessica Fletcher I reach for a book. Therefore, I chose this book to get to visit Hawaii through Jessica's eyes. It was a fun two day visit to Maui. I had visited the Islands in 1973, and this story brought back many fond memories.

As always I was never in doubt that Jessica would get to the bottom of the case. However, the fun is trying to catch the clues that leads Jessica to solving the case. I caught some of the clues to the puzzle, which is why I like cozy mysteries. The story kept me on my toes until the very end.... Another case solved by the renowned Jessica Fletcher.

This book is a part of my personal library and I enjoyed it enough to award it 4 'Aloha' stars.


P.S. Just a side thought, I now watch "Murder, She Wrote" on Netflix.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha, Gigi Ann! This mystery sounds very good! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Gigi Ann. We also loved "Murder She Wrote" and will have to look into this story.

    ReplyDelete