Monday, March 23, 2015

"Jane Fairfax"

"Jane Fairfax"

Jane Austen's Emma has been a favorite novel for Austenites since 1816. In the mid-1990s it became a favorite movie for millions of new admirers.

A key reason for Emma's success is that the story has two heroines-Emma Woodhouse and Jane Fairfax. In Austen's novel, Jane's backgound is left obscure, and the turmoil underlying her current reduced circumstances is mysterious.

At last we learn her whole story in Joan Aiken's superb retelling of Emma-this time from Jane Fairfax's point of view. When Jane Fairfax was published in hardcover, Aiken's wit, style, and skill prompted Booklist to say, "Brilliant...extraordinarily well done and highly recommended." I have to agree with Booklist.


My Thoughts...

I recently found this book while meandering around in Barnes & Noble one day. I love many of the sequels of the Jane Austen books. Since Emma is my favorite book by Jane Austen, and when I noticed the title of this book I knew I just had to have it to read. I found that it was a worthy companion to the original book Emma. It will have a special place on my bookshelf right beside the book Emma. 

I loved this book and awarded it 5 stars. However, I think you will only enjoy the book if you are a Jane Austen fan and have read the book Emma, or at least have seen the movie. I personally have seen the movie several times. I never bore of Emma, her character is one I've come to have a love/hate relationship with. But in the end I find I love her and her bossy ways.

2 comments:

  1. I am also an Emma fan. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Gigi Ann. I like your new blog design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been awhile since I've read an Austen inspired book. Emma has always been a favorite.

    ReplyDelete