Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Steeped In Evil"


Hardcover320 pages
Expected publication: March 4th 2014 by Berkley Hardcover
ISBN 0425252957 (ISBN13: 9780425252956)
edition language English

Theodosia Browning has never considered herself a wine connoisseur~~tea has always been her forte. But that doesn't mean she's going to pass up an invitation to a fancy wine-tasting party at the upscale Knighthall Winery, just outside of Charleston, South Carolina.

But a sweet evening takes on a bitter aftertaste when a dead body is discovered in one of the wine barrels. The son of proprietor Jordan Knight has been murdered.


Dissatisfied with the police investigation, Knight turns to Theo for help. She's heard through the grapevine that there are both family and business problems at Knighthall. They say in vino veritas, but everyone at the winery seems to be lying through their teeth. Sorting through the guest list as well as family and staff, Theo has her pick of suspects. It may look like the killer has her over a barrel, but cracking tough cases is vintage Theodosia Browning...


My Thoughts...


Even though this book is a series book in the Tea Shop Mysteries, it is also a stand-alone book.

From the first page to the last page I was drawn right into the story, I love a good cozy...Theodosia Browning didn't consider herself a wine connoisseur, however, how often did she get invited to a fancy wine-tasting party at a very upscale Winery? Rarely. This was a first for Theodosia...What was to be a fun wine-tasting evening turned bitter when a dead body came floating out of a wine barrel. Now starts Theodosia's investigation to try to find who would do such a dastardly deed.

Since this is a Tea Shop Mystery, I loved the Afternoon Tea Party with the theme: "Downton Abbey Tea." (if you are a Downton Abbey fan you will understand) Served at the tea was...Mrs. Patmore's Smoked Salmon Sandwiches, Lady Crawley's Cucumber Dreams, and Mr. Carson's Crumpets. It made me want to have my own "Downton Abbey" Tea-party. As I was reading the story, I was imagining Theo as Angela Lansbury, of the "Murder, She Wrote" TV series, and what a surprise, when a character in the book, looked at Theo and said, "And just who do you think you are~~Angela Lansbury."  That really made me chuckle...

The story moved along quickly keeping me slurping my tea as I was trying to figure out who was the guilty person of all the many suspects. But, again I was caught by surprise when the guilty one was discovered.

And that ending! Wowser! I enjoyed the jouncing ending.

A great big THANK YOU to the author, Laura Childs, for providing this book for me to read and review. Thank you for a few days of fun reading, and visiting some old friends from Charleston, South Carolina. What can I say except it was my cup of tea, and I enjoyed it so much I am awarding it 5 star shaped tea leaves. 


I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors I am under no obligation to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment