Friday, June 14, 2013

"The Rockin' Chair"



Memories are the ultimate contradiction. They can warm us on our coldest days or they can freeze a loved one out of our lives forever. The McCarthy family has a trove of warm memories. Of innocent first kisses. Of sumptuous family meals. Of wondrous lessons learned at the foot of a rocking chair. But they also have had their share of icy ones. Of words that can never be unsaid. Of choices that can never be unmade. Of actions that can never be undone.

Following the death of his beloved wife, John McCarthy Grandpa John calls his family back home. It is time for them to face the memories they have made, both warm and cold. Only then can they move beyond them and into the future.


My Thoughts...

This is the second book I've read by Steven Manchester, the first book being "Goodnight Brian." 

This book is a book about a family traveling down the highway of life, and all of a sudden they have arrived at a fork in the road. Which way to turn, to the one leading to healing and happiness, or the rocky road leading to misunderstandings and sadness? 

This was a very emotional book, the story begins with  sadness, as we read about John's wife, and the struggles the family had dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's. Then, we begin to learn about each family member, and the problems they are each facing. How they each arrived on the winding road that lead to their present situation in life, and the twists and turns that helped them to continue down the highway to a happy life...all with the help of Grandpa John's guidance and wisdom.

There are happy heartfelt moments as they reminisced about things that happened in their lives. But there were times when the tears appeared as I was reading the story. I like the way the story came together in the end. It was very endearing, but also bittersweet. I enjoyed reading this book and awarded it 4****

This book was provided to me by the author, Steven Manchester, to read and give an honest review. Thank you Steven for two pleasant days of reading, I enjoyed reading your novel. Actually, after I started reading it, I had trouble putting it down.


I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review.

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds lovely...I adore that cover, with the rocking chair.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts...and also for visiting my Saturday Snapshot.

    I am feeling very much better after a purge. I also live in a much smaller space than I once had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Gigi Ann. It sounds like a pensive book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great, I do enjoy emotional reads like this.

    ReplyDelete