Saturday, June 22, 2013

"Sweet Salt Air"



Charlotte and Nicole were once the best of friends, spending summers together in Nicole's coastal island house off of Maine. But many years, and many secrets, have kept the women apart. A successful travel writer, single Charlotte lives on the road, while Nicole, a food blogger, keeps house in Philadelphia with her surgeon-husband, Julian. When Nicole is commissioned to write a book about island food, she invites her old friend Charlotte back to Quinnipeague, for a final summer, to help. Outgoing and passionate, Charlotte has a gift for talking to people and making friends, and Nicole could use her expertise for interviews with locals. Missing a genuine connection, Charlotte agrees.

 But what both women don't know is that they are each holding something back that may change their lives forever. For Nicole, what comes to light could destroy her marriage, but it could also save her husband. For Charlotte, the truth could cost her Nicole’s friendship, but could also free her to love again. And her chance may lie with a reclusive local man, with a heart to soothe and troubles of his own.


My Thoughts...

First: I just want to say that Barbara Delinsky is one of my favorite authors. I was excited to receive this book, and to start reading it...there were many 5 star reviews of ones who have read this book. I have read many of her books and liked them. However, that being said, I have mixed feeling about this book. There were parts I liked, but other parts I didn't enjoy at all. I appreciate all the hard work that authors put into writing books, and  realize they can't please me every time they write a new book.


It started off as a slow read for me until about page 150 where the pace picked up somewhat, but it wasn't a page turner for me either. Sometimes it was a struggle for me to continue to read. I just couldn't connect with the two women, Nicole and Charlotte. I don't know what it was about them, but they tended to get on my nerves. Especially Nicole! Her doctor husband has MS, and all she can think of is herself and how she suffered for four years because he didn't want her to tell anyone about it. Well, I can understand his feelings about that! Oh well, this wasn't real life it was just a novel written to entertain.

I think Ms. Delinsky has me spoiled, and I guess I expected more than Chick-lit and PG romance, which in my small mind, is what I classed this novel as. I do have my favorite Chick-lit and romance authors so have nothing against fluffy novels. I just wasn't expecting it when I started to read this book. That being said I awarded this book 2 and a half stars***.

This book is part of my Nook library.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of Barbara Delinsky but I haven't read her books. It happens, sometimes our fav authors write books that we just don't love as much as the rest. This has happened to me with Alice Hoffman. Nice post Gigi!

    ReplyDelete