Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Miss Buncle's Book"


Who Knew One Book Could Cause So Much Chaos?

Barbara Buncle is in a bind. Times are harsh, and Barbara's bank account has seen better days. Maybe she could sell a novel . . . if she knew any stories. Stumped for ideas, Barbara draws inspiration from her fellow residents of Silverstream, the little English village she knows inside and out.

To her surprise, the novel is a smash. It's a good thing she wrote under a pseudonym, because the folks of Silverstream are in an uproar. But what really turns Miss Buncle's world around is this: what happens to the characters in her book starts happening to their real-life counterparts. Does life really imitate art?

A beloved author who has sold more than seven million books, D. E. Stevenson is at her best with Miss Buncle's Book, crafting a highly original and charming tale about what happens when people see themselves through someone else's eyes.

"Love it, love it, love it"

"There are no vampires, no faeries, no weird creatures, just a sweet story about real people living in a world I've always dreamed of."--Reader Review


My Thoughts....

A year or two ago a friend (Kathy H.) suggested I may enjoy reading a book by D. E. Stevenson, so this week I finally got around to reading this book, "Miss Buncle's Book" by said author. I was not familiar with this author, therefore this is the first book I've read by her. This book was written in 1934, so it was interesting from that standpoint, a vintage book, which I enjoy reading from time-to-time.

This was a fun, sometime silly light-hearted story. I found it delightfully charming, set in an age when gossip in a small town was the entertainment of the day. It had a bit of light-hearted romance, and I was surprised by the questionable lady couple who lived together, which for a 1930s book was a bit risque. All-in-all I enjoyed the book and awarded it 4****. This book is part of my Nook library. My thanks to Kathy for suggesting this author, otherwise, I never would have found her. I'm sure when I am in a vintage state of mind I will read another one of her books.


Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found this "vintage" book charming. I think I'd also enjoy it. The premise of this sounds good. Very nice review, Gigi Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Buncle's Book sounds like a nice vintage read.

    ReplyDelete