Monday, April 1, 2013

"Campaign Promises" My Thoughts


Comedy writer and acclaimed novelist Laurel Osterkamp has written a funny and moving novella about life, love, and politics as seen through the unique lens of Lucy Jones, a quintessential girl-next-door who is obsessed with political campaigns. Liberal, idealistic, and struggling to find her way, Lucy has an easier time believing in causes than she does in herself. But in the midst of analyzing the mistakes made by past political candidates, Lucy attempts to figure out her own choices when it comes to both her private and public life. There's her high school sweetheart Jack; Monty, Jack's magnetic older brother; and her politician boyfriend, Drew. Can any of these men offer Lucy a campaign promise to believe in?

This 19,000 word novella (roughly 60 print-book pages) spans twenty years and offers six slice-of-life vignettes in the life of Lucy Jones:
--The Prom and John Bayard Anderson
--The Wedding and Gary Hart
--The Funeral and Paul Wellstone
--The Baby Shower and Pat Schroeder
--The High School Reunion and Michele Bachmann


My Thoughts...

This is a new month, "April 1, 2013" and I thought I would start my new month with a new author, Laurel Osterkamp, I've never read this authors works before. This book was a fast and quick read with a few funny spots along the way. It was a book I have on my Kindle, and if I remember correctly it was probably a freebie. 

Since this is a new month I decided to make it my "Kindle" reading month. I keep downloading books on my e-readers and then forget to read them. Therefore, this month of April I am going to try to read at least 10+ from my Kindle.

This book was a different sort of read from what I normally read but it was okay so I guess I will award it 3 stars***.

I also read this book for my...
"Mount TBR Reading Challenge" 

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea--to start a new month with a new to you author! Glad you're enjoying your Kindle!

    ReplyDelete