Sunday, October 7, 2012

"The Meryl Streep Movie Club" My Thoughts

This is a story about three estranged women, two sisters and a cousin. They grew up together after a tragedy. They are now finding unexpected happiness in the most unexpected way: by watching Meryl Streep movies together. It is only when the three are summoned to their family matriarch's inn on the coast of Maine for an important announcement that they are able to reconnect through surprising and heartfelt discussions of movies starring Meryl Streep, and discover who they really are and what they truly want.

On page 56, the author writes, "A Meryl Streep movie was as good as chicken soup, a best friend, a therapist, and a stiff drink." It got me to thinking do I have a favorite comfort movie I turn to? Really, I can think of three or four movies I turn to and watch at least once a year. Mostly, I watch those movies in the wintertime when the snow is blowing outside, and I am curled up all cozy under my favorite blanket and just set back and enjoy my comfort movies.

As the women set around watching and discussing the different Meryl Streep movies, it made me want to watch all the movies over again. I do know this...when I watch any Meryl Streep movie again, I will view them differently, and it will bring to mind the discussions these women had as they watched the movies.

I found this book was filled with warmth, depth, and candor. Mia March skillfully opens the lives of these four different women, each coping with their own challenges and secrets. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I would be willing to read more by her.

I really liked this book and awarded it 4****

This book is a part of my Nook library.

4 comments:

  1. This is a book I've been hearing so much about and I really want to read it. It looks wonderful. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my TBR shelf and after reading your review, I might just have to move it closer to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do love Meryl Streep as an actress, case in point Julie and Julia. When I first saw this book it caught my eye simply because it is about finding comfort in movies, which I do do. (you know what I mean). One of my favourites is Julie and Julia where Meryl Streep plays Julia Child, and she does so magnificently! I will have to read this book for sure!

    ReplyDelete