Saturday, October 13, 2012

"Blackberry Winter" My Thoughts

This is the second book I've read by Sarah Jio , the first one being The Violets of March, which I really liked, and I must say Sarah Jio has done it again with "Blackberry Winter." Interesting its title is  from a late-season, cold-weather phenomenon.

Seattle, 1933. Single mother Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, goodnight and departs to work the night-shift at a local hotel. She emerges to discover that a May-Day snow has blanketed the city, and that her son has vanished. Outside, she finds his beloved teddy bear lying face-down on an icy street, the snow covering up any trace of his tracks, or the perpetrator's.

Seattle, 2010. Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge, assigned to cover the May "Blackberry Winter" storm, that happened on the same day as in 1933. She learns of an unsolved abduction that happened on this day in 1933, and vows to unearth the truth. In the process, she finds that she and Vera may be linked in unexpected ways..

"Blackberry Winter" is a book that draws the reader right into the story from page one as the "icy wind seeped through the floorboards and I shivered...." It is a story of sadness, maternal love and a mystery that happened 80 years earlier, and is beautifully told, exploring the past to find the satisfying conclusion to the mystery of many years ago.

This was a fast and emotional read, I didn't want to put the book down until the last page and than I didn't want it to end, I wanted more... but like the old saying goes: "All good things must come to an end!"

I will be reading more of Sarah Jio's books. I liked this one so much I awarded it 5*****

This book is a part of my Nook library.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very good, I like stories that go back in time and have mysteries revealed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my stacks, and can't wait! Review books first...grrr.

    Next week I should treat myself and work it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the story is as delightful as the cover!

    ReplyDelete