Monday, June 18, 2012

"Musing Mondays"


This week’s musing…
I read an article, this past week, about book covers, and the difference between print & digital covers; about how the digital covers have almost disappeared entirely, while publishers decide to just skip right to the content. 
What do you think about this? Do you think the book cover is “dead”? Do you care whether the “covers” on digital books exist or not?

After looking over my reading habits, I've noticed I've become addicted to my E-Readers. I've read 34 books on my Nook and Kindle so far this year. They are so handy, and easy to carry anywhere, and as far as getting new books to read, they are as close as my easy chair. No more planning days to visit the bookstores. I guess I could sum this up by saying....I'm Lovin' My E-Readers!" 

As of today I have read 30 paper books, and listened to 4 audio books. Do I miss the cover art, not really, I prefer a good story to the cover art.


How about you, which do you prefer cover art or a good storyline?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ann,

    Whilst I would never buy a book solely from its cover, I do tend to browse the cover art if I am in a book shop.

    I like a cover to be clean and clear, and to some degree to reflect the storyline of the book.

    When it comes to ebooks, I do still tend to browse the synopsis and cover art of the hard copy first, so that when I am actually ready to go and order my ebook, I don't really care if it has a cover or not.

    If I am buying an ebook that I already know I want, I don't even think about the cover.

    Good topic for a conversation,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm! Not sure about this one. I usually read books I've seen recommended so I don't choose books by covers. However if a book has a really great cover it might make me pick it up.

    Have to say I don't do e-books. Still like the feel of a book in my hands. Also our library hasn't moved into supplying them due to the cut backs so this hasn't encouraged me to buy a Sony Reader or whatever. I'm just a Luddite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a nice cover, even if I too rarely use them to pick a book anymore. Now reviews are usually how I make my choices. But I still think the cover adds to the experience and cover issues with e-readers is one problem I have with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just like to look at the covers when deciding what to read next. I use my e reader a lot too. It's handy to go to Goodreads and peruse my "to read" shelf where I can see all the covers.

    THis is not a complaint, just an observation. The blue print is kind of hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm still living in the dark ages and I don't have an e-reader...lol....but I like a nice book cover to grab my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my e-readers too and I have a Nook Color and Kindle Fire, so I see the covers in color. I love that ebooks have covers. But...I really don't think covers are "dead". Some people don't like e-readers for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete