Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Booking Through Thursday"

The question this week is...Ever read a book you thought you could have written better yourself?


My answer is No! Even if the book isn't very interesting I realize how much work and time the author has spend in writing the book, and I respect that. However....


I have read a few books on my e-readers that I have wondered: Didn't you do your research?  And where was your editor? They are historical novels and some of the language I don't think was spoken in the 1860s.  One example...It was so funny as I was reading along, the author had the leading character ask if there was a "Motel" in that town, now remember this was in 1860s. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think motels came along until after the automobiles were invented. Motel meaning motor lodge.  I just chuckled, but I also wondered who was the editor that didn't catch that. But the storyline was fine, just the language for the time period was a little off. But would I want to rewrite the story...NEVER! Sometimes if I don't like the ending of a story, or movie, I will write a happy ending in my head. Now you know how my mind works....What about you, do you ever rewrite stories in your head?

7 comments:

  1. That is funny. Maybe there were Howard Johnson's during that era lol. Great answer and post. BTW, hope you don't mind but I copied your BTT button, it is nicer than the one I have which I think is a very old one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it seems we are in agreement on this one. I often wonder as well, how much of a hand the editor had (or didn't have) in the publishing of the book. thanks for stopping by! Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Gigi Ann, I totally agree. I wouldn't want to rewrite a book either but I do notice poor writing and inaccurate details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read so many ebooks that had mistake after mistake and wondered how in the heck none of them were caught.
    Here's My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, there have been a few where I thought, um did you even spellcheck this?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good answer.
    No, I don't want to rewrite stories. But, sometimes I'd have liked to be an editor and demand some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent answer! I, too, respect the amount of work that goes into (most) books. Your motel example is a good one.

    ReplyDelete