Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Vet In Harness" by James Herriot: Review


Today on this cold and wintry day, I finished reading "Vet In Harness" 

From the inside book cover:

Herriot's masterful storytelling is once again at work in this charming and humorous volume, full of tales of a Yorkshire veterinarian's country adventures.

Whether rising in the middle of the night to tend to the sheep of a drunken, singing farmer, washing up outdoors with ice cold water after the birth of the lambs, or snuggling back into the warmth of his own bed with his new wife Helen, Herriot's simple adventures are heart-warming and lovingly remembered. Full of memorable and delightful details, each of the stories is a treasure from a bygone era.

My Viewpoint: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have always loved reading Mr. Herriot's books. He has such and interesting and funny way of telling his stories of his adventures as a vet in the 1930s. Sometimes by accident, he stumbled on a cure for an animal. An example: He was on a farm looking after one of the sheep, and another one was struggling to hang on to life. The old farmer was just going to let it die, but Mr. Herriot couldn't just leave it to die in it's misery, so when the old farmer went to the house for some warm water, James, ran quick and gave the sick sheep a shot to help it out of it's misery. A week or so later when he visited the farm, the almost dead sheep was healthy as could be, the old farmer told him, the funniest thing happened, the sheep slept for two days, and than got up and wandered over to the food and started to eat and has been fine ever since. 


I read this book for My Animal Reading Challenge.
I loved this book and I am giving it 5*****.

I borrowed this book from the library.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely love James Herriot as well! He never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to check out Herriot.

    ReplyDelete