Friday, January 14, 2011

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" Review

This is a novel set in post-WWII England. The book centers around Juliet Ashton, a writer, on tour with a book she just wrote. She was known for her humorous wartime newspaper columns. The book she wrote is a collection of these columns. She now desires to write a book different then the one she just wrote. 


The Guernsey Literary...is a novel set in England and told through letters. Juliet receives a letter from a stranger, Dawsey Adams, in Guernsey who found her address in a used book, and so begins a correspondence with the man, and gradually more and more of the Guernsey Islanders started writing to Juliet. (I must say, that half way through the novel, I wanted to know where Guernsey was, so out came the world atlas, and I found where it was located.)


Through the letters a tale unfolds of how the war affected the islanders, and why the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society came about. 


This novel is a work of historical fiction told through the characters letters.


I enjoyed reading the book and I give it 3***. 


I borrowed this book from the library.

10 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann! This sounds like one I'd like. I particularly like novels set around WWII. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gigi Ann,

    I read and reviewed this epistolary book, and thought it was great. I'm glad that you also enjoyed it. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Sincerely,
    Suko

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a book about letters of love and longing in war's aftermath."The Hours After" by Gerda Weissmann Klein.
    I will have to put your book on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this, bought on a whim at a local book shop. I began reading it, but it didn't grab me instantly, so I moved on.

    Perhaps I should give it another try! I promise I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave it a 4 Gigi and decided to have a Rename it contest, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite enjoyed it once I got used to the letter style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book too and I found it really taught me about a part of WWII that I otherwise had no idea about. Great review!

    ReplyDelete