Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Safe Haven" (Review)

I have read most of Nicholas Sparks books. Some I liked, and others I didn't like. This is one I didn't like. Sorry, Mr. Sparks.


I don't care much for violence, and didn't realize so much violence was part of the story. I'm sure a lot of his fans will go for this sort of storyline, I however am not one of them.


I am not a reviewer of books, I read for pleasure, or entertainment not something that traumatizes me. Unfortunately the book didn't satisfy either need, pleasure or entertainment. I get no pleasure nor do I find it entertaining reading about violence. The book was predictable, until the last chapter. One of the reasons I like his books is the fact that most of the time they don't have a typical ending, nor did this one. It just happened that the last chapter of this book ruined the whole book for me. I am only one reader, but to put it mildly, I HATED THE ENDING, therefore, it ruined the whole book for me. To me it was a fantasy ending, an illusion to say the least. It was in my opinion an unbelievable ending. I don't like Ghost stories, or paranormal stories, if that was what I wanted to read there are a lot of those books on the market that I could have chosen from. I was really disappointed in this book, BIG TIME!


I understand it may be made into a movie, if so, it is probably one of his movies I will not see, unless they figured out a way to tie the story together without the stupid ending like the book has.


I give it a 1/2 star out of 5, because of the last chapter. I think he needs to rewrite the last chapter.  This is just my opinion, as I said before,  I am not a reviewer of books, I am just a reader, with an opinion.


Now to settle my nerves, I'm going to go read, "Katie Up and Down the Hall" The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a family.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that honest review. I think I am the only reader on earth that has not read one of his books, but I know now, not to start with this one.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yow, violence in a NS book? Not good!! is the whole world leaning this way. It's everywhere and I am getting sick of it. Sorry you rushed out to buy the book and was so disappointed. A 1 rating to me is "best used as a doorstop". Hope your next book is better.

    ReplyDelete