Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Booking Through Thursday"

Series September 30, 2010

Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:07 am 
btt  button
Suggested by Jennifer:
If you read series, do you ever find a series “jumping the shark?” How do you feel about that?
And, do you keep reading anyway?

I've decided I must live in a bubble, I had no idea what "Jumping the shark" meant, and had to research the phrase in Wikipedia before I could answer the question. How sad is that?

Well, now that I have a little idea what the phrase means, I can say, Yes, I have been guilty of "jumping the shark." One example I can think of was the series of Fern Michaels about the Vigilante Sisterhood. After reading 3 or 4 books in that series, I gave up reading anymore, I found them just to unbelievable in my little mind. Another reason, they were so similar in storyline that they were quite predictable, that is in my estimation, therefore they became very boring to read, again this is my own estimation. I'm not sure yet if I fully understand the phrase "jumping the shark"!!


Whether I'm reading a book or a series, if it isn't fun anymore, I quit reading it. I read to be entertained, and if a book gets to be a drag, or boring, I just look at the book and say, "Goodbye book, my time is to value to waste on you." 

How about you, do you find yourself "jumping the shark?"

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't quite sure what the phrase meant either, but after reading a few responses and then quickly googling it, I felt I could answer.

    Here's my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. phewwww! I thought I was the only one that didn't know what "jumping the shark" meant.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know either and I went to Wiki. I have to admit when reading a book I have to finish it good or bad, it blends into my system to finish what I start. This is a good post, at least I know the meaning.

    ReplyDelete