Monday, April 12, 2010

"Tail Spin"

I picked this book up last week, when I visited Barnes and Noble. "Tail Spin" by Catherine Coulter, is an FBI Thriller. So while I was waiting for my husband to finish his shopping I started to read it.

It started off very exciting and kept my attention,  but now I'm finding it a bit wordy, often repeating the same information over and over, but with a different character. I'm sure by the time I get to the end, it will all come together. Until then I will force myself to keep reading.

 I hope someone that hasn't been introduced to the story yet, doesn't pop up to be the bad guy. I hate that. When I am reading a mystery and right toward the end someone you never heard of before pops up in the story and did the bad deed. I think, all that reading for nothing, I like to try and figure out who did it as I'm reading the story.

So who did it? I will just have to try to read the rest of the story to find out. And I will, even though it is wordy, slow moving, boring and sometimes just plain irritating.  I will get to the end!

Review: On a scale of 1-5 I would give this book 2.5 stars. It was an OK read, but not a favorite of mine.

 I was not wrapped up in the story. Instead, I was constantly irritated by little details. For example, the book takes place in the D.C. area, yet the characters constantly eat Mexican food. Has Coulter, who lives in California, ever eaten Mexican food on the East Coast?

More importantly, I was turned off by the main characters’ apparent lack of humanity. When the senator discovers Rachael is his lovechild, he is thrilled, calls her the “daughter of his heart.” Yet, he has two other daughters he raised. No one questions his instant adoration for Rachael or wonders how his other children might feel.

Similarly, the senator has a dark secret, a crime he committed. All the characters want the secret to remain, well, a secret. They don’t want to tarnish the senator’s reputation. But no one ever thinks about the people he harmed. Wouldn’t 
they want the closure of knowing who committed the crime?

Okay, enough complaining. The real problem with this thriller is that it is less than thrilling. Coulter misses out on opportunities to create fear and tension. I never really believed anyone was in danger, and I wouldn’t really mind if they were.  I managed to read the whole book, even though it was a bit boring and slow moving. But this is just my viewpoint, I'm sure there are many other people who read this book and loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment