Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Just Wondering...."


I was wondering....

When is it inappropriate to read in front of others? Is it ever appropriate?

Personally, I feel like it's inappropriate for me to read when I'm at a gathering of some sort, where we are conversing, or playing games. However, on the other hand, if we are sitting around and everyone else is watching something on T.V. (example, football, with super Sunday just around the corner) which I don't enjoy or understand, I would bring out my book and read, it's what I enjoy, and it won't interfere with their enjoyment of their T.V. viewing.

I almost always carry a book with me, so I read in the waiting rooms of Doctor/Dentists offices. Also, while my husband shops, I wait in the car and read. When I visit bookstores, I read while my husband shops, elsewhere. Now if someone in the bookstore seated near me wants to visit, I close my book and visit with them.

I used to eat lunch alone, so I would read until my meal was served. A friend once mentioned he felt sorry for people setting alone and reading in a restaurant. I told him, don't. I do it all the time. I bring a book with me because I planned on reading it while I waited until  my meal was served. However, when it's just you and a friend or friends who've gone together, I wouldn't read a book, that would be rude.

Reading at the dinner table with my husband, NO! The table is a place for family togetherness and talk.

A friend and I sometimes arrange to meet at the library and read with very little conversation. It is very relaxing just being there with her.  I don't know why, but it is.

So--there are places where it's inappropriate to bring out your current read and dig in. But, there are also lots of other places where I think it is appropriate--and I find very enjoyable--to have a book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment