Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Calling All Poets and Scribes! Writing Prompt"


I found this exercise at Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes.  Please! Do join me. It's so easy...so grab your book and have some fun. Here's how it goes:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Flip the pages (with eyes closed)
3. Stop the pages with your hand.
4. Point anywhere on the page.
5. Read the word (or words)
6. Write about it. (Poetry, prose...you choose.

Gertrude Recalls

Gertrude recalls
that she was among
the first ones;
to dance,
to dip,
to do the
grapevine slip,
or was it the slide?
The electric
was slide
the grapevine
has no slip or slide
the grapevine goes
from side to side
along the hall as
Gertrude recalls.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I do beg to differ, Ann! There IS a definite poetry to this and you have been hiding your talent. I'll be doing this regularly and would love for you to keep exploring your inner poet.

    I really liked your internal rhymes and the way the poem speaks to the reader in a shootin'-the-breeze kind of way.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kat, even though I know very little about poetry, and have never really tried to write anything. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete