Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Real Life at the White House" Book Choice for September.

A few weeks ago Brenda perked my interest in this book, "Real Life at the White House." So last week I went to the library and had them order it for me. I decided to make it "My Book Choice" for the month of September. And believe me, it will probably take me that long to read it and maybe some of October, (but I hope not.)

It has forty-two chapters--one for each administration--it ends with President William Jefferson Clinton, (the forty-second president). The book was published in 2000.

This over-the-shoulder peek at America's most famous residence reveals the intimate life of each president and his family. The history of family squabbles, china patterns, built-in closets (a luxury added during the Truman renovation), plumbing (Taft was too big for the White House bathtub), telephones, pets, pests, and the Secret Service is unveiled on this tour of two centuries at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

I am looking forward to reading this little bit of history about the 200 years of daily life at America's most famous residence, "The White House."

So, off I go to "My Reading Corner".........

Tuesday, September 15, 2009.

I just finished this book today. It was an enjoyable read, and quite the eye-opener of what goes on behind the scenes!

It makes you wonder sometimes how the country runs as smoothly as it does. I would recommend it to others who are interested in history, and the comings and goings on in the "White House."

After reading this book it is a house I would never want to live in! And I don't envy anyone who does.....

And I will never visit it. Why?????

Because.....it is haunted!!!!! >^..^< Need I say more?.....

3 comments:

  1. Let me know if you were shocked or surprised about LBJ. I was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,

    I read the chapter about LBJ, and no I wasn't surprised, or shocked. But, than I am a bit older then you, and I probably can remember that part of history a little better than you, since I lived through it.

    It seems all these power-hungry, rich men, no matter how homely, or arrogant they are have mistresses. All I can say, the pay must be good... that these women would even consider having affairs with these men.

    I never did like his arrogant attitude, but, I didn't realize that his arrogance was as bad as it was depicted in the account about him. But, I can believe it.

    There have been documentaries about him, which I have watched over the years, and some of these things where brought out about him, not in as much detail as the book, so maybe that is why I wasn't surprised or shocked also. It just reinforced what I had already heard about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the 8th grade when he was President so I wasn't really paying any attention to news at that age. We watch the History channel but I don't remember anything about him like this on there. The drinking and secret service men having to put up with his arrogance and rudeness was the worse to me. The affairs seem to be nothing compared to some of the other things. He sounded a little nutty...

    ReplyDelete